Transit Tuesday Webinars
Ten State Associations across the country are combining efforts and leveraging resources to bring additional training over the next several weeks to their members. These webinars are for members of the following Associations: AZTA, CALACT, CASTA, FPTA, IPTA, PPTA, SWTA, TPTA, VTA and WSTA.
Race, Work and Leadership: New Perspectives on the Black Experience
To be held on September 29th, 2020 @ 3:00pm
The first in this two-part series explores what we can learn from Black experiences of race, work and leadership, and how can we apply these insights toward strengthening our organizations’ strategic and mission alignment? How does inattention to race, work and leadership undermine organizational performance and community vitality? In this webinar, drawing from a compilation of research studies, Dr. Laura Morgan Roberts will highlight key challenges that Black professionals face in gaining access, authenticity, advancement, authority and accountability for attracting, developing, retaining diverse talent in just and equitable ways. She will also articulate steps for creating greater organization-wide understanding and awareness of racial inequalities and why they matter at work.
The presenter for this webinar is:
- Laura Morgan Roberts, Ph.D. – Author, Academic, Keynote Speaker
The Importance of Transit in Communities of Color
To be held on October 6th, 2020 @ 3:00pm
The second session in our series is an exciting panel including Dorval Carter from CTA, Darnell Grisby of APTA, and Christof Spieler of Huitt-Zollars and lecturer at Rice University. This meaty session will move through a discussion of the importance of transit in communities of color, how racism has shaped public transit, the inequities that have historically been embedded in our nation’s transit systems, and some examples from agencies that are doing it better. You won’t want to miss the personal and institutional reflections of this panel on a topic that we’re all considering as we lead our agencies into the future.
The panelists for this webinar are:
- Dorval Carter, Chicago Transit Authority
- Darnell Grigsby, APTA
- Christof Spieler, Huitt-Zollars & lecturer at Rice University
- September 29 – Race, Work and Leadership: New Perspectives on the Black Experience
- Two-part Series, Part 1
- October 6 – The Importance of Transit in Communities of Color
- Two-part Series, Part 2
- November 10 – Celebrating Passage of ADA -30th Anniversary
Maintaining Employee Wellness During a Crisis
Previously held on September 8th, 2020 @ 3:00pm
Working during a pandemic has increased work duties and created an environment of uncertainty, adding stress to transit employees that can jeopardize employee’s health. This webinar focused on Employee Wellness programs, activities and exercises that can help employees lower stress, engage in self-care and wellness during this unprecedented epidemic.
The panelists for this webinar were: Sandra Smith-McDonald, AC Transit, Oakland, CA; Sandra Gonzalez, Pace Suburban Bus, Chicago, IL; Forrestine Coombs, Southeastern Pennsylvania, Transportation Authority; Stacy Kesten, Ensight Partners
- AC Transit Wellness Program (.pdf)
- PACE Wellness and Recognition Programs (.pdf)
- SEPTA Wellness Connection (.pdf)
This webinar sponsored by:
Innovating During a Time of Crisis
Previously held on August 11th, 2020
Across the country, transit agencies of all sizes are thinking outside the box to continue meeting the needs of their communities in the face of a global pandemic. From integrating new technologies to reimagining service models, this webinar showcased how four of your peer agencies are reshaping mobility and evolving to continue providing essential public transportation services.
The panelists for this webinar were: Michael Feldman, Director of U2C, Jacksonville Transportation Authority (FL); Chris Campbell, Transit Director, Kingsport Area Transit Service (TN); Alan Budde, Transit Manager & Rebecca Schenck, Principal Planner, Napa Valley Transportation Authority (CA); and Steve Blaska, Chief Operations Officer, Spokane Transit Authority (WA).
This webinar sponsored by:
Restoring Transit Rider Confidence
Previously held on July 28th, 2020
Transit has proven itself to be an essential service throughout the pandemic, although the CDC initially discouraged transit use in response to COVID.
Understanding how to restore during an unexpected crisis is an essential skill. This session provided ways to manage the internal and external communication environment, provide data analytics from a brand new national public opinion project, and show-n-tell examples from agencies to restore community confidence while capitalizing on unexpected support.
The panelists for the webinar were: Morgan Lyons – Lyons Strategic (former Vice President, External Affairs, Dallas Area Rapid Transit [DART]); Scott Wilkinson – CEO, AlphaVu; and Jim Wright – Partner,
This webinar sponsored by:
Leading a Reinvention After Disruption
Previously held on July 14th, 2020
Mindy Price discussed how you can reinvent parts of your organization, applying what we have learned through the pandemic disruption, to improve business efficiencies and employee engagement.
The panelist for the webinar is: Mindy Price
Chief PACE Setter, Direct Effect Solutions, Inc.
- Leading a Reinvention After Disruption, presentation (.pptx)
- Process Mapping Steps (.docx)
- Remote Team Engagement (.pdf)
- SWOT Worksheet (.docx)
Planning for a Pandemic and Preparing for Recovery
Previously held on June 30th, 2020
Panelists taught how to set your agency up for success with best practices in developing a pandemic response plan, how to begin preparing for recovery and what should be included in an after-action plan.
PANELISTS: Robert Codie, LeeTran – FL; Rufus Francis, Santa Cruz Metro – CA; Polly Hanson, APTA; Kathleen Bracke, Boulder County – CO
- LeeTran – Pandemic Response and After Action Plan (.pdf)
- LeeTran – COVID-19 Response Plan (.docx)
- Lee County – Continuity of Operations Plan (.docx)
- Santa Cruz Metro – Planning for Pandemics and Beyond (.pptx)
- APTA – Planning for Pandemics and Beyond (.pptx)
- APTA – Developing a Pandemic Virus Service Restoration Checklist (.pdf)
- APTA – Cleaning and Disinfecting Transit Vehicles and Facilities During a Contagious Virus Pandemic (.pdf)
- Boulder County – Transportation Master Plan (.pdf)
Human Resources Best Practices in A Covid-19 World
Previously held on June 16th, 2020
Panelists from transit agencies across the country discussed pressing topics including administrative leave, return-to-work, communicating with staff, hazard pay, COVID-19 positive employees, and more.
PANELISTS: Lawrence Bond, Roaring Fork Transportation Authority, Colorado; Kelly Halcon, Monterey-Salinas Transit, California; Jennifer Hirsch, Rock Island County MetroLINK, Illinois; Kendra McGeady, Pelivan Transit, Oklahoma; Jamie Leonard, Central Pennsylvania Transportation Authority, Pennsylvania; and Cesar Portillo, Community Transit,
- Rock Island County MetroLINK – HR Best Practices (.pptx)
- Monterey-Salinas Transit District – HR Response to COVID-19 (.pptx)
- Roaring Fork Transportation Authority – HR Best Practices (.pptx)
- RFTA COVID-19 Symptom Screening (.docx)
- RFTA COVID-19 Acknowledgment/Return to Work Form (.docx)
- Return to Base, A Conversation About Returning Employees Back to the Workplace (.pptx)